7.03.2012

: : :Cozy Winter Hat: : :



McCall's 6450 . . . view E

the inside



plaid version


reverse

This is the first hat pattern I've ever tried . . . hats always seem intimidating to me for some reason. However, this pattern is so much fun! I had such a lovely time making the brown one, that I had to make the plaid version, too! It took me about 4 hours for each hat--and I didn't encounter any problems with the construction of them. The instructions are great. Also, the pattern is great for using up old scraps from other projects. I didn't buy any fabric for either of these two hats! (yippeee!)

For the sizing, I just measured the crown of my head, and made the directed size. I believe it fits just fine. 

I didn't use fusible hair canvas for interfacing, either, as the pattern envelope suggests. I just used some medium weight fusible interfacing that I had lying around. The fashion fabric that I used is a semi-thick, woolly fabric--which probably helped to give the hat some body.

Also, I made the plaid version of this hat reversible. Instead of using lining fabric for the crown, I just went ahead and used my grey contrast fabric for the crown; and then attached the plaid flower. Surprisingly, the flowers are not uncomfortable when they are on the inside--I thought the button might dig into my head, but it does not. :)

Not only is this hat cute, but it's really warm, too. :) Great for cold winters. McCall's 6450 also includes a pattern for gloves, which I want to try now. It's hard to find affordable hats and gloves that are cute and classy--this pattern is an economical solution to that problem. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment